Since the beginning of the 30AR platform push in 2007 with the forum at 308AR.com members and visitors have been trying to get their hands on a CARBON FIBER WRAPPED 308AR BARREL. Many have paid money and got on waiting lists never to receive their CARBON FIBER WRAPPED 308AR BARREL. Others after over a year wait received inferior products in return for their patience. Well today I was updating the websites with info on our newest advertiser CRITERION BARRELS INC and I wanted to see what Brownells was offering for the CBI branded product. Imagine my surprise to find that in stock at Brownells is a CARBON FIBER WRAPPED 308AR BARREL from Christensen Arms. I have no info other than what’s on the respective websites but I did email some questions of to Christensen Arms. Check this barrel as well as it’s AR15 sibling out for yourself at Brownells.
Category: AR 308 Barrel
I recently saw the NEMO 308AR BARRELS listed as a new product at Brownells. I do not know much of these folks other than they were close to merging with SI DEFENSE. Regardless they are at a great price point considering the specifications.
- Black Nitride Coating, offers superior corrosion resistance and accuracy
- 300 Blackout barrel has an M4 profile and is chrome moly steel
- 308 Winchester chambered barrels feature a HBAR profile
- 308 Winchester barrels are machined from 416 stainless steel
- 5/8-24 muzzle threads
- .750” O.D. at the gas port
- 16” barrels feature a carbine length gas system
- 18” and 20” barrels feature a rifle length gas system
- 300 Blackout barrel fits AR15/M16 receivers
- 308 Winchester barrels fit DPMS pattern 308 AR rifles
- Barrel extensions feature M4 feedramps
- 308 Barrels have a 1-10 twist
- 300 Blackout barrel has a 1-8 twist
SPECS: Black nitride coating, stainless steel (308) and chrome moly (300BLK). Length – 16”, 18” and 20”. .750” at gas port. M4 feedramps. 5/8-24 muzzle threads. 1-8 Twist (300BLK) and 1-10 Twist (308).
Brownells is finally begining to pay greater attention to the 308 AR market and I am pleased to report they have begun selling Fulton Armory 308 AR Barrels. For visitors who don’t know the Fulton Armory 308 AR barrels are made from Krieger blanks. Now these arent the $700 match Kriegers but in the hands of most shooters they wont know the difference. These are spectacular barrels, Just ask anyone who owns a Fulton Armory Titan 308.
Here is some specs:
- 1×10 twist rate
- 5/8×24 threaded muzzle
- Includes receiver extension
- Lightweight Contour – 18.5” long, .750″ diameter at gas block, chrome moly steel, chrome lined bore, Black parkerized finish
- Medium contour – National match barrel. Available in 16” or 18.5” lengths, .936” diameter at gas block, stainless steel, provides weight savings & rigidity.
Check out the barrels here.
I recently came upon a good deal on a DPMS 7.62 SASS Teflon Coated, Fluted Barrel. The problem is I cant have a threaded muzzle in my home state so the threads needed to go.
Rather than send the barrel out to a gunsmith I decided to machine it myself in the lathe at my day job. It was pretty easy and I think it turned out well.
Here’s what I did.
- I wrapped the barrel with a precision shim stock perfectly for nearly 360 degrees. This was done to protect the teflon finish from the lathe jaws.
- Then I placed the barrel in a 4 jaw chuck. I used the 4 jaw because its the easiest way to get the bore centered.
- I indicated the bore and adjusted the chuck until the bore was rotating perfectly centered.
- Next step was to remove the threads from the muzzle
- After removing the threads I adjusted the tool holder to give me the 11 degree crown.
- Cut the crown to a mirror finish
I have read that a brass ball with lapping compound is typically used to fine hone where the crown meets the bore. I decided to skip this step for now just to see if it matters.